Sunday, February 08, 2015

The Hope of the Resurrection

A post of a paper I wrote for a school - October 24, 2012

This may seem like a topic better suited for Easter, But the hope of the resurrection is a topic that permeates my life every day, not just something that I think about on Easter. It is a truth that I hold dear to my heart.... especially on this day - The year anniversary of my oldest sister, Rochelle, who passed away from Breast Cancer.  but honestly I'm not only thinking of Rochelle, this topic also makes me think of my Grandpa and Grandma S (my dad's parents), two dear friends who each lost a mother (one from breast Cancer, and the other from out of nowhere), a sweet girl in my ward who lost her husband, and my husband's uncle Mike. And anyone who has lost a loved one.
(Something I wrote for my class about family crisis and how they can become opportunities.) 

My oldest sister Rochelle was diagnosed with Breast cancer in October of 2007. She went through so many chemo rounds, two brain tumors, a hysterectomy, loss of hair many times, radiation and everything that goes. She passed away just over a year ago, October 24, 2011. My entire family (all six girls and my parents) were able to be there in my sisters room her last two weeks of life. Was it painful to watch such a vibrant feisty mother of three and beautiful wife waste away while she couldn’t hardly move and could hardly communicate? Absolutely. Was it one of the most spiritual and uniting experiences for my entire family? Absolutely. Why? Because of our faith in Jesus Christ and his resurrection. Because of the Word of God written in scripture that brings awareness of where she was going and what she would be feeling.
“Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life. (Alma 40:11)”
 Our beliefs were no linger beliefs but knowing. We knew she would be whole and reunited with other family (namely my sweet grandfather). We had each other, all of us there to help support and lean on each other. There were tears and laughter, often together. When she finally left this world on the 24th we did not stop ourselves from grieving but we also haven’t stopped knowing. Although it was such a huge loss for everyone, particularly my mother, Rochelle’s husband Ryan and her three young children, we will not deny how it brought us together as a family. 
The Hope of Resurrection. 
To truly understand the Resurrection we must search the scriptures and understand the Atonement as well. I have read these passages before and they are so wonderful, the absolute love that God has for his children! I have said before that I don't feel like much of a writer but I love videos and the impact they can have.


A Hopeless Dawn by Frank Bramley
 President Thomas S Monson admired this painting and his heart went out to the hopeless feelings the two women had in realizing that the mother’s son and the woman’s husband was lost at sea. When we lose a loved one it can be a hopeless and wrenching feeling. Feelings of mourning are natural and good and God does not tell us not to weep (think of the Savior weeping at the loss of Lazarus a dear friend). There have been many tears. Usually, they have been tears of missing my sister.

The Hope of the Resurrection is that we may see our loved ones again! All will be resurrected because Christ broke the bands of death. In the resurrection death has lost its sting. 
I so grateful for this truth. This is the happiest announcement in the history of life
“Why seek ye the living among the dead?
“He is not here, but is risen.” (Luke 24:5–6).
President Thomas S. Monson said
“The empty tomb that first Easter morning was the answer to Job’s question, “If a man die, shall he live again?” To all within the sound of my voice, I declare, If a man die, he shall live again.”
“For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
“For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made live.” (1 Corinthians 15:21-22)
Revelation chapter 21, verse 4: ‘And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.’